Be part of the world’s most successful, purpose-led business. Work with brands that are well-loved around the world, that strive to improve the lives of our consumers and the communities around us every day. Every day, nine out of ten Indian households use our products to feel good, look good and get more out of life – giving us a unique opportunity to build a brighter future. We promote innovation, big and small, to make our business win and grow; and we believe in business as a force for good. Our brilliant business leaders and colleagues provide mentorship and inspiration, so you can be at your best.
At HUL, we believe that every individual irrespective of their race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, nationality, caste, disability or marital status can bring their purpose to life. So, apply to us, to unleash your curiosity, challenge ideas and disrupt processes; use your energy to make the world a better place. As you work to make a real impact on the business and the world, we’ll work to help you become a better you!
- Job ID:R-44388
- Category: Research/Development
- Location: Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Date posted: Aug/12/2022
We are looking to hire for Ice cream Technical Project Lead (India) and D&H Expert (South Asia) based in Bangalore.
With Compass organization effectively in place in Unilever from 1st July 2022, Ice cream has become a separate business group globally. Overall global ice cream business has a approx. turnover of 7 bl Euro. South Asia ice cream is an important and strategic BU, with approx. turnover of 250 mE and is growing strongly at CAGR ~ 20% over the last 3-4 years. Ice cream R&D team supporting this SA BU has a need for a TPL and D&I expert to lead key NPD projects and drive the Diet and health agenda.
Purpose of role:
This role has dual responsibilities. One role is to lead the role of a R&D TPL for key NPD projects and the other is to be responsible for the ice cream’s South Asia diet & health agenda at Unilever Ice Cream. The key responsibilities and accountabilities of both these roles is described below.
Role as a R&D TPL
The job’s core function is to lead NPD product development, with winning innovations for India and meet business targets on Innovation TO, cost, Saving, quality, and On Time In Full (OTIF) delivery. The main scope of the job is to lead the development of new product innovations (NPDs) and the improvements of existing products (Renovations) in IC India, including the development & improvement of related Packaging.
The job requires the necessary technical expertise and skills obtained through hands-on experience in developing cost optimized ingredients, ice cream formulations, packaging & their manufacturing processes, including substantiation of product claims (nutrition & consumer benefits) to support Marketing strategies & plans.
The job provides technical, functional and regulatory support to Marketing, Supply Chain (Manufacturing, QA, Buying & Distribution), Customer Development and 3rd Party Suppliers.
The job is responsible for ensuring conformance of ingredients and product formulations to Unilever Diet & Health guidelines for compliance and claims support. This includes providing & validating data for Nutrition Labelling of all products, in conformance with both Unilever standards & local regulations.
The role is accountable for the technical aspects of regulations governing all ice cream products. It acts as a central point of contact for all regulatory compliance of products in close partnership Regulatory Affairs Country Manager legal expertise.
The role champions the Unilever Sustainable Living Plan (USLP) for the 100% sustainable sourcing of agricultural raw material ingredients and packaging materials for ice cream innovations and renovations which the TPL is responsible for.
Accountabilities as TPL:
- Leads development of consumer–relevant product innovations & renovations in accordance with key project deliverables.
- Directs the Packaging development needs for the NPD products
- Identifies and applies relevant Key Unilever Technologies to enable the development of cost-optimized and differentiated products superior to competition.
- Validates quality standards for all Raw & Packaging Materials and NPDs in conformance to Unilever standards, guidelines & tools on Design HACCP, SEAC, GMP and CRQS, and compliance to local FDA regulations.
- Supervises and executes Technology Transfers (including IP protection) to Raw & Packaging Material Suppliers and to Manufacturing (Production/QA) in trial Runs and Commercialization of all new ingredients, packaging materials and Ice Cream projects
- Key member of the Project Management Team, a cross functional team from Supply Chain, Marketing, Finance, CD and R&D which regularly monitors the network milestones of all Innovation & Renovation Projects to ensure OTIF delivery of results.
- In conjunction with Marketing, CMI & CTI, translates consumer insights from
Focus Group Discussions and CMI consumer studies to relevant new product ideas
or product attributes.
- Responsible for conducting regular benchmarking to ensure quality superiority of IC products vis-à-vis competition.
- Monitors and swiftly acts on consumer feedback by leading the team in improving the quality of Ice cream products
- Actively leads the Ice cream team in searching for new product ideas through by visiting Trade Channels, Restaurants, Bakeshops or through Research via Digital & Print Media.
- Collaborates with Chefs and Foodies to create new product concepts and winning recipes that are consumer-relevant and commercially viable
- Responsible for training of R&D Team member in R&D Systems and Tools, and in their efficient application and maintenance (SAP-PLM, SAP- MDM, Digital R&D, Development of R&D Eco system, Open Innovation and Nutrition & Vitality Passport).
- Responsible for training team Member (WL1) in Key Unilever Technologies and their application in relevant products
- Keeps updated on new systems and technologies relevant to ice cream.
- Responsible for the speed of innovation delivery by deploying the appropriate team member with the required skills & experience to deliver the project.
- Responsible for coaching, supporting and developing professional skills and technical expertise of team member
- Responsible for leading the assigned R&D platform, managing all projects given by the Cluster R&D lead
- Regular updates to the Line manager (Cluster R&D lead) on project milestones, technical issues and other relevant matters
- Maintain highest quality standards, ensure safe working practices and care for the environment through total compliance with the guidelines set up in Company Quality, Health & Safety, Environment, Customer Service and Consumer Safety policies of Unilever.
Role as a Diet and Health expert – Ice cream
Responsible for the diet & health communication for the Ice Cream brands in South Asia
- Ensure correct use of agreed diet and health claims
- Provide on-going support to the communication of brands in the market
- Issues management of diet and health brand issues
- Execute brand related internal diet & health education
- Support consumer care line (Q&A development, address consumer questions related to diet & health)
- Build and maintain relations with relevant health influencer as defined in cooperation with marketing & corporate relations to ensure external support on nutritional messages
- Develops good networking with Regional and global D&I leads and brings the best practices
- Delivers cluster targets on HNS and D&H agenda
- The role will act as a contact from local business perspective related to diet & health. The role requires independency and confidence to interface several stakeholders, from internal team to external environment.
- Delivery of consumer’s and KOF’s (Key Opinion Formers) communication and claim of diet & health in ice cream in local, which must comply with Unilever internal guideline and local regulation.
- Delivery of diet & health inputs into innovation & renovation projects
- Delivery of advocacy activity as aligned together with advocacy trio team (diet & health, regulatory affairs, external affairs) and R&D country lead
- Growth Mindset
- Consumer & Customer Focus
- Product Excellence /Quality Mindset
- Creative/Innovative (keeps abreast of new Technologies relevant to the category)
- Bias for Action – speedy delivery of innovations & projects
- Building Talent & Teams – builds capabilities and skills of Ice cream designers to ensure a continuous Talent pipeline
- Entrepreneurial Mindset (treating the business as if it is your own)
- Accountability & Responsibility
- Credibility & Integrity
- Strategic Influencing
- Masters Graduation in Food Technology or other related courses
- R&D experience in the Food Industry: Minimum of 10 years
- R&D experience in the Food Industry (FMCG): minimum 10 years
- Minimum 5 years supervisory /managerial experience
- Experience in Ice Cream formulation and manufacturing technologies (min. of 5 years)
- Proficient in Project Management (min. 5 years)
- Knowledgeable in Quality Management Systems (min. 5 years)
- Cross functional business knowledge (min. 5 years)
- R&D experience in Ice cream product and Process development
- As per job/site requirement: Approx. 20 – 30% of time
Contacts / Network
- Quality Assurance
- Regulatory / Legal
- Customer Development
- Regional (SC, Marketing and R&D)
- RM/PM suppliers
- Technology providers / Consultants
- Nutritionists / KOFs/ Subject experts
- Regulatory Bodies
🔔👥 WhatsApp – Join our groups for regular updates (Jobs, News, Training etc) If you are already in our groups, please don’t join. All Groups are same.
🔬👩🎓 Join Food safety Training Programs (Online & Offline both available)