About the job
There’s never been a more exciting time to be at McCormick & Company, Asia Pacific. A respected global leader in flavor with more than 11,000 employees worldwide and facilities in 27 countries, McCormick produces, markets, and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments, and other flavorful products to the entire food industry. A relentless focus on growth, performance and people continues to drive strategy and success.
Our new Asia Pacific Headquarters and Technical Innovation Centre in Biopolis, Singapore, a new manufacturing facility and Technical Innovation Centre in Chonburi, Thailand, and our manufacturing facility and new Seasonings lab in Sonipat, India will support our ambitious plans for the region. With our strong footprint, winning brands, and the power of our people – we’re a region on the rise.
The Product Development Technician is tasked with establishing best in class seasoning capabilities for India. This includes designing seasonings for multiple applications from snacks to meat seasonings to ready to eat meal seasonings. The Senior Scientist also provides advice and leads projects to drive new business opportunities and growth across India
The Product Development Technician interacts with key customers and cross-functional teams to execute research and development from concept to commercialization in accordance with customer and business requirements. He/She is responsible for implementing new technologies and formula improvements, supporting comprehensive continuous improvement (CCI) and process improvement activities, and ensuring that projects are completed within assigned priorities. He/She identifies and manages technical risk and communicates this to key stakeholders in a timely manner.
The Product Development Technician i may also be required to provide leadership, coaching and training to other product development team members including direct reports. He/She will also follow and obey the requirements specified by the company, with awareness and emphasis on quality and safety of products together with reporting irregularities that may affect food quality and safety
Reporting directly to the Research & Development Director – India, Southeast Asia, this role will:
- Partner with internal Sales and Marketing teams to actively engage with customers to understand their needs and to develop products as per assigned brief for critical McCormick customers. Prepare finished product specifications and commercialize products through manufacturing process. Supervise trials or first-time production runs, liaising with suppliers and customers as appropriate. Ensure validation process is completed to standard and lead the transition to business as usual, engaging key stakeholders along the way. Utilize R&D team members where appropriate to deliver the brief, delegating tasks effectively.
- Actively participate in the APZ Community of Best Practice for Seasonings working collaboratively with R&D colleagues in SEA and AUS, to develop and improve the regions seasoning and flavor development, functionality, and application capabilities.
- Develop effective raw material evaluation streams that enable the delivery of priority briefs and implement new technologies where appropriate to enable functional and nutritional improvements.
- Lead the development of best in class snack seasoning capabilities for India. Actively participate in cross functional engagement, providing leadership and Subject Matter Expertise to both internal and external stakeholders in relation to technical capabilities, laboratory requirements, equipment, manufacturing facilities, compliance processes and effective brief execution.
- Optimize formulations against cost and capabilities, contributing to improved formulas, process improvements, business contingency plans, cost savings and CCI.
- Coaches and mentors Product Development Technologists to build a HPO through effective WWOW and technical skill and application development.
- Implement relevant Codes of Practice for best in class seasonings. Maintain active familiarization with all relevant Codes of Practice within the food industry locally, regionally, and globally where products are sourced or sold. Engage with Regulatory team to ensure compliance for all product launches.
- 5-8 years of relevant product development experience in the food industry.
- Complex Seasoning Development Experience Project Management (end to end)Establishes strong and positive working relationships with internal stakeholders and external suppliers and customers.
- Ability to communicate effectively and influence customer approval for recipe and process changes and must be able to maintain McCormick as a customer solution focused business
- Able to influence peers, across functions and customers.
- Collaborative work approach with the ability to leverage resources and delegate workflowAbility to manage and negotiate conflicting priorities, managing key stakeholder expectations along the way
- Requires self-motivation and is self-driven, able to work autonomously, able to influence peers and across functions.
- Thorough and in-depth knowledge and understanding of current and emerging product development technology, functionality and innovation both locally and globally. Understands the New Product Development process and it’s impact on overall business results.
- Understanding of the needs of the customer – shape and influence this, the food industry insights, ingredients, manufacturing processes, QA programs and Food and Labelling Regulations
- Knowledge and understanding of the factory environment and regulatory framework as they apply to the commercialization of new products.
Problem Solving:The job requires attention to detail in making evaluative judgements based on the analysis of information. Expected to resolve problems with external and internal customers/stakeholders by identifying and selecting solutions through the application of acquired technical experience.
Where required, engage, and communicate with our customers to identify appropriate solutions
Influence and Leadership:Utilizing SME to build rapport and influence business objectives internally and externally. Informal leadership capability, including but not limited to coaching, mentoring, and developing technical skills and application
Communication Skills:Exceptional written and verbal communication. Ability to confidently deliver compelling presentation to internal and external customers and influence outcomes
Business Acumen:Understands the broader business, upstream/downstream impacts to decisions, Financial performance, being able to translate strategy into project execution
Level of Education and DisciplineB.Sc. Food Technology, Process Engineering, or related subject Certifications and/or Licenses Sensory training and training in quality processes would be beneficial
What is on Offer
An opportunity to lead culinary activities for India as part of a Global MNCThe chance to be a part of the a Global MNC Seasoning TeamAbility to influence and drive business development through culinary knowledge and expertise